Partial Restoration, 1987 VW Scirocco 16V For Sale By OwnerOffered by German manufacturer Volkswagen in the 80s, the Scirocco named, it's a high-performance front-wheel-drive car powered by the most efficient and strong tiny engine ever made by Volkswagen known as Scirocco 16V, assembled at Karmann Coachworks and sold in the US between 1986-1988, was then the most powerful and athletic VW till today.
Despite being replaced by the Corrado where more expensive, some enthusiasm agreed there was not really quite like the Scirocco 16V.
As shown here coming from the second generation of the Scirocco lineage, the 1987 VW Scirocco 16V finished in black over black interior North American version, is specially offered to the United States market, which are slightly different specs to the worldwide version due to different emission and safety regulations on that time.
This is one of the Volkswagen masterpieces a 1.8L Inline 4-cylinder 16-valve engine sat horizontally in the same direction of the front wheel rotating and backed with a 5-speed manual transmission, very efficient and powerful he can beat Porsche's fast lap time at the circuit.
The interior side is not finished but not far. A lot of work was done during ownership by the current owner, it's has been renovated by Coach Automotive, but not perfect yet, still needs attention to fix some parts inside. The photo angle doesn't represent all interior sides well, please see all interior photos below, and a closer impaction is a much better way if you seriously want it.
The paint is faded and needs repainted, but it's a straight and solid body with small dings and scrapes is easy to work for a body expert. Anyway, it's a good base and has a lot of potential to restore. Overall is in good shape with a little finishing touch it could be a remarkable Scirocco, very possible.
Detail by owner
Rare 1987 VW Scirocco 16v with clean Oregon title. This car is a partial restoration classic with most mechanical and interior restoration complete. Very clean and drives extremely well. Long list of restoration and repair including the following:
- Complete interior restoration completed by Coach Automotive. Original Recarro front seats recovered in genuine leather upholstery. Rear seats also recovered in genuine leather.
- Complete interior carpet replacement using Newton Commercial carpet kit specifically made to resemble original including foot pad for driver side.
- Rear parcel shelf recovered in carpet.
- Entire headliner replaced with OEM material.
- Complete engine tune including new timing belt, valve cover gasket, fuel filter, alternator belt, plugs, oil and filter.
- Complete cooling system overhaul including new radiator and temperature sensor as well as a new OEM coolant reservoir.
- A/C system retrofitted from R12 to R134a and filled. Replaced all fittings. Blows cold.
- Original upper timing belt cover sourced and installed (collectors will know how rare these are)
- Original and completely restored 1980's BBS 375 ET 35 rims wrapped with new Toyo Extensa tires (these alone are worth $3500)
- New Bilstein B6 Performance struts all around with new mounts
- New Dynamic Friction cross drilled and slotted brake rotors
- New brake pads
- New flex lines and emergency brake cables
- New master brake cylinder
- Complete flush and fill of brake system
- Custom Jetex stainless cat back exhaust system including new resonator, muffler and all pipes and hangers
- New front CV boots
- New front windshield with original tint and rear view mirror mount
- New sunroof seal
- New OEM rear hatch struts installed
Power windows work, A/C works, all lights are functioning. Things that still need attention on this car are as follows:
- Rear power window wiper does not function (although the wiper fluid does work)
- Cigarette lighter does not work
- Power mirrors are sticky but have power
- Glass on rear mirrors is faded, but I do hav a replacement set that will go with the car
- Sunroof was replaced at some point. It does function perfectly, but is slide only and not tilt
- Interior sunroof cover needs to be recovered and installed (have the parts)
- Heater fan can be occasionally loud
- Right front blinker does not function
- Body has small dings and scrapes. Needs minor work and the entire car needs paint.
- Looks like someone replaced the body aerodynamic kit with a red one and repainted black at some point. It's all original and complete
- Needs a sounds system (comes with an Alpine deck but no speakers)
- Seat rails are loose - likely needs some hardware which is relatively easy to find
Car is in good shape. With a little more work it could be in remarkable shape.
I'm very hesitant to sell it as they are extremely rare now and very hard to find. Good condition Scirocco MK2 16v have been selling on BAT for $15k-33k. This one is a deal. I do have all receipts from the work I have done on it in the past two years.
Many more photos available - just reach out to me and I can send any requested photos.
If you're interested about this car, please here on Craigslist